How to change login banner message in GUI mode in CentOS 6 or above version
Learn How to change login banner message in GUI mode in CentOS 6 or above version.
In previous version of CentOS means CentOS 5.x with the help of command
we used to change the login banner.
Now in CentOS 6 the gdmsetup command is not available.So if you want to change the login banner in CentOS 6 or above you can do it through either command gconftool-2 or gconf-editor.
Here in this practical I am using gconf-editor which is easy to use for all.
To change the login banner in GUI mode follow the given below steps.
Step 1: Login in GUI mode or also know as Runlevel 5
Step 2: Open the terminal .
Applications >> System Tools >> Terminal
Step 3 : Install gconf-editor
yum install gconf-editor
Step 4 : After installing gconf-editor. Open the “Confguration Editor” either by using command gconf-editor in terminal or click on Applications >> System Tools >> Configuration Editor
Step 5: Configuration Editor will open.Now click on –
apps >> gdm >> simple-greeter
Step 6 : When you click on simple-greeter. At right hand side panel you will some keys.
You have to edit only two keys.
banner_message_enable –> double click and select true
banner_message_text –> in value field “type your message”
Step 7: Now Right click on both edited keys one by one that is banner_message_enable and banner_message_text.
After right click on banner_message_enable, select “Set as Mandatory”.
same step with banner_message_text, right click on banner_message_text and select “Set as Mandatory”.
Step 8 : Now logout and you can see your message at login page.
- Install Openssh server on Ubuntu Desktop / Server - November 16, 2014
- Install MariaDB Server 10.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ( Trusty Tahr ) - November 15, 2014
- Redirect sudo output to file - November 13, 2014
- 3 Steps to install skype 4.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 / 12.04 - November 8, 2014
- Install Owncloud 7 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Server - November 6, 2014
- cron job not working : troubleshooting steps - November 5, 2014
- tr command to convert lines to space , tab and vertical tab - October 31, 2014
- Bash : print variable value inside single and double quotes - October 16, 2014
- CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 : change OpenSSH port number ( SELINUX enabled ) - October 15, 2014
- CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 : Reset / Recover forgotten root password - October 11, 2014